Do you know what are some great and easy-to-make healthy soup recipes? Healthy Soup recipes are a delicious meal option that is low in calories and high in nutrients. There are several types of soups, from creamy tomato soup to spicy chicken noodle soup. The key is to choose the right type of soup recipe according to your taste preferences and health goals.
Soup is a versatile dish that can be served hot or cold. It can also be prepared ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator until ready to serve. In addition to being nutritious, soups are also inexpensive and convenient. They are perfect for busy families who want to eat well without spending too much time preparing meals.
There are many ways to prepare a good quality soup. Some of them include using fresh ingredients, such as vegetables, herbs, spices, and meats. Other methods involve adding canned foods, frozen foods, and even dried foods. These options provide variety and allow you to customize your soup to fit your personal tastes.
There are many different kinds of soups. Some consist of only one ingredient while others have multiple ingredients. One example is French onion soup which consists of onions, garlic, butter, cream, cheese, and breadcrumbs. Another example is split pea soup which includes peas, ham, carrots, celery, black pepper, salt, and water.
To create a wide variety of soups, it is important first to identify what kind of soup you would like to make. For instance, if you prefer an Italian-style soup, then there are several variations including minestrone, Italian bean soup, and vegetable soup with basil and olive oil.
What are some great and easy healthy soup recipes?
- Vegetable Soup Recipe: This veggie soup contains all the essential vitamins and minerals your body needs. It’s full of fibre and provides a lot of energy. When made properly, this soup is both comforting and tasty!
- Lentil Soup Recipe: This lentil soup has been proven to lower cholesterol levels, maintain blood pressure and boost immune systems. It’s simple to make but very satisfying.
- Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe: You’ll love how quickly this tasty chicken noodle soup comes together when made with boneless chicken thighs. If you’re cooking for kids, use bone-in chicken breasts instead because they’ll cook more evenly.
- Potato Leek Soup Recipe: With its creamy consistency and savoury flavour profile, this potato-leek soup offers a rich alternative to traditional vichyssoise. Enjoy this homemade soup on cool fall days due to its mild sweetness.
- Minestrone Soup Recipe: This classic Italian soup is hearty enough to stand up to heavy pasta dishes. A blend of dark leafy greens, beans, tomatoes, and aromatics combine to create this warming soup that will leave you feeling satisfied. Top off your bowls with grated Parmesan cheese, so it melts into each spoonful.
- Cilantro Lime Avocado Soup Recipe: Avocados contain lots of heart-healthy dinner monounsaturated fats and Vitamin E, plus potassium and folate. Combined with cilantro and limes, avocado creates a refreshing base for this lightened-up greek yogurt soup.
- Tomato Basil Soup Recipe: There is nothing better than tomato basil soup during the summer months. But not all tomato basil soup recipes are created equal. Sometimes the taste just isn’t as complex and flavorful. To ensure success, always choose high-quality ingredients (especially tomatoes) and add complexity through the use of unique flavours such as lemon thyme and garlic.
- Cream Of Broccoli Soup Recipe: What makes this broccoli soup recipe special is the combination of dairy products, broccoli, and leeks combined into a nourishing broth. The result is a creamy soup packed with nutrients.
- Healthy Salmon Chowder Recipe: Chock full of veggies and low in fat, this salmon chowder is sure to fill you up. Add shrimp or scallops to make it even healthier.
- Black Bean Soup Recipe: This delicious black bean soup can be served warm or cold. In addition to being nutritious, this soup is also gluten-free. Make extra to freeze for later!
- Roasted Red Pepper And Garlic Soup Recipe: Don’t let the simplicity fool you; this roasted red pepper and garlic soup is loaded with flavour and is much easier to prepare than it may seem.
- Spicy Peanut Butter Pumpkin Soup Recipe: Pumpkins are at their best during the Fall and Winter. Roasting them before pureeing brings out the natural sugars in pumpkins which helps to balance the spicy peanut butter flavour.
- Moroccan Spiced Chickpea And Lemon Soup Recipe: Chickpeas are known for being a good source of protein and fibre, while fresh herbs and spices add an amazing aroma. This Moroccan spiced chickpea and lemon soup is the perfect starter for any meal.
- Easy Lentil Soup Recipe: Lentils provide essential fibre and protein. They’re also inexpensive, making lentil soup an economical option compared to other soups. Add vegetables like carrots and celery to boost nutrition further.
- Mexican Corn Chowder Recipe: This corn chowder takes advantage of seasonal produce by using sweet potatoes and corn. It’s light, yet filling thanks to the inclusion of milk.
- Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe: If you’re looking for a comforting chicken noodle soup recipe, look no further. With a few simple ingredients, you’ll have homemade stock ready in less than 30 minutes.
- Vegetable Beef Soup Recipe: This vegetable beef soup is made from scratch with quality ingredients. It’s a hearty one-pot meal that tastes great on its own or over rice.
- White Bean And Kale Soup Recipe: This white bean and kale soup have been around for years, but it keeps getting reinvented. We like to serve ours with crusty bread and a salad for a complete meal.
- Vegan Split Pea Soup Recipe: This vegan split pea soup is a hearty vegetarian alternative to traditional meat-based soups. Made with dried split peas, this soup is naturally thickened with the help of water and a little elbow grease.
- Tomato Bisque Recipe: A rich, velvety bisque that combines the best of both worlds—creaminess and tanginess. This classic French recipe gets a kick from garlic and shallots.
Can you freeze homemade soup?
Yes, you can easily freeze homemade soup. Homemade soup freezes well, especially when prepared in large batches. Freezing soup is quick and convenient, but please do not thaw frozen soup before serving.
Thawed soup may separate slightly, which is perfectly normal. Simply stir until smooth and enjoy.
Homemade soup doesn’t need to be complicated. Many of these recipes take only 30 minutes or less to prepare. And the best part is, that you get to control exactly what goes into them.
Feel free to play around with herbs, spices, vegetables and proteins. Use whatever you have on hand, and don’t worry about measuring everything precisely. Just remember to keep it simple.
Are there any benefits to freezing homemade soup?
Freezing soup is an excellent way to preserve freshness and extend shelf life. It’s also very practical if you want to serve soup at room temperature without heating up the kitchen. However, it’s important to know that once frozen, soup does not reheat well. For this reason, we recommend storing homemade soup in airtight containers in the freezer.
How long can I store my soup in the fridge?
Soups should be stored in the refrigerator for no longer than 4 hours after preparation. Once refrigerated, soups tend to lose their flavour. As a rule of thumb, soups will last 3 to 5 days in the refrigerator.
How long does homemade soup last in the freezer?
Once properly sealed, most soups should remain good in the freezer for at least three months. Soups containing cream or milk tend to freeze best if refrigerated first. Once chilled, place plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the soup and then seal using aluminium foil wrap. If your soup contains other ingredients like eggs or meat, follow the manufacturer’s instructions for proper storage.
What are some great and fun ideas for making soups at home?
There are so many ways to customize and personalize your own homemade soups. You could use different types of stock or water depending on the type of soup you’re making. Or try adding chopped vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds, or grains to make it more interesting. Don’t forget to experiment with different seasonings and spice blends.
Here are some other creative ideas for making soups:
- Use leftover pasta as noodles in tomato basil soup
- Make a creamy chicken soup by blending cooked cubed chicken breast
- Add chunks of roasted sweet potato to white bean soup
- Garnish with crispy bacon bits and croutons
- Top bowls of chilli with shredded cheese
- Stir together hot vegetable broth with sour cream for a warm dip
- Serve grilled meats and veggies over rice and top with soy sauce and sesame oil
- Blend canned tomatoes with pesto for a flavorful tomato soup
- Mix chopped kale with olive oil and lemon juice for a delicious salad dressing
- Create a savoury veggie soup by combining carrots, celery, onion, garlic, and salt
- Make a hearty mushroom soup by sauteing mushrooms and onions in butter until tender
- Make a creamy broccoli soup by simmering broccoli florets in heavy cream
- Toss together diced cauliflower, buttermilk, and Parmesan cheese for a tasty side dish
- Serve cornbread muffins alongside spicy pumpkin soup
- Cook ground turkey with Italian seasoning and pepper for a quick weeknight meal
- Add a splash of balsamic vinegar and brown sugar to instant pot chicken noodle soup
- Make a Mexican-style chicken soup by combining chicken breasts, tomatoes, chillies, cumin, lime, and oregano